You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux native games

Author (Read 6357 times)

Re: Linux native games
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 01:49:09 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
For the Ubuntu LTS repositories, Frogatto is a nice title, also Neverball.

With the Neverball, there is one issue I have encountered, though. Before even launching the game for the first time after install, in your home user location, create a directory by the name of:

Code: [Select]
.neverball
it will be a hidden folder, to be understood. The game attempts to create this folder, but for some reason, makes a file, not a directory, which causes some entities to get scattered around the place. In case of encountering the issue, look for '.neverball' file and the folders of: 'Screenshots', 'Scores' and 'Replays' to clean up.

Frogatto is best run with the switches of:

--fullscreen --widescreen
the latter one, in case you have a widescreen monitor.

FreeOrion looks nice. I am not a big fan of 4X games, neither have I really given this one a better try yet, but hopefully someone may evaluate this recommendation.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:51:03 PM by MS »

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 02:29:14 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Should I also give you heads-up about an upcoming project, to be available on Windows, Mac and Linux, entitled Installation 01. It is a fanmade Halo 3 interpretation, declared multiplayer only. I am unnecessarily a big Halo fan - more of an iD follower, if anything - but honest effort is certainly respectable. AFAIK, Installation 01 is to be freeware, but not opensource. They collaborate with 343 Industries, which is a thematically locked down division of Microsoft entertainment branch.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 02:16:53 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

The best criteria when choosing a game is FREE:
So here the list I got from Techgara.
No More Room in Hell
Awesomenauts
Dead Maze
The King’s Request: Physiology and Anatomy Revision Game
Cognizer
Faeria
There is something to it. True, I have to agree. Even if very rarely may freeware games honestly compete with those commercial, still then, if you end up disappointed with a freeware game, you loose nothing of particular, except the time and hope invested. In the end, there is no cringe of loss in removing the game from the hard drive, no issues with attempts on the refund and stuff. But if you like the game, then the better off you are.

ASCII Sector, a remake of Wing Commander: Privateer, a rather tough in difficulty, ASCII-aesthetics, highly systemically evolved, role playing game of space combat and trade.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:30:43 AM by MS »

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:27:32 PM »

Fussel2Genii

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-8700k

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GTX 1080
The best criteria when choosing a game is FREE:
So here the list I got from Techgara.
No More Room in Hell
Awesomenauts
Dead Maze
The King’s Request: Physiology and Anatomy Revision Game
Cognizer
Faeria

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 02:08:31 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

One of the most impressive titles, as well as the one unpresent on any major distribution platform for the time being, is Xonotic. Portable edition. With the online contents of dedicated servers, this game, is truly amazing.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Have you heard of Red Alert on an open source engine available free for Linux, basing on freeware assets? The link is HERE and there is more good news, as there are actually three games available running on the same engine: the Red Alert, the Tiberian Sun and the Dune 2000. The bad news is, the game is unavailable in the Ubuntu repository, but it is available as a Flatpak, so you will have to follow the instructions on how to properly get a Flatpak installed, if unfamiliar already.

HERE are general instructions on Flatpaks for Ubuntu, while below is a command to be executed once the linked set is completed - mark that you will need to reboot as well:

flatpak install --from https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/net.openra.OpenRA.flatpakref
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:18:10 PM by MS »

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Let me throw something in. HERE is the think. The thing is called The Dark Mod, a selfstanding idTech4 game being an incredibly stylish tribute to the Thief series, remarked as a respectable independent achievement of the year 2014. I cannot guarantee the link will always be there, so in case, head directly to their website HERE.

EDIT:

Just for the note, I use Steam only for the forums the day current.

PS:

Tactical redirection to how make Quake2 run on Linux natively, local thread HERE.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:16:14 PM by MS »

Linux native games
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Speaking of gaming on Linux, I believe we should first of all begin with listing the clean native Linux titles, perhaps primarily with those available in the repository. Any notable mentions?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:13:02 PM by MS »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section