You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing an ancient ninja game from a .tar file

Author (Read 23311 times)

Installing an ancient ninja game from a .tar file
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 01:11:15 PM »

Chompo

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i3-370M

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• Kernel: 6.x
Hello there. I am finding it very difficult to install this ancient ninja game that seems to be available for Linux as a .tar file only. It doesn't help that all tutorials I could find mention .tar.gz files exclusively, but of course, I tried to follow them nonetheless (even making changes as I thought appropriate), to no avail (obviously, else I wouldn't be here). I have also tried following Help Manual's instructions, but I always get the message "No such file or directory" upon entering "./configure" instead of a list of dependencies. I feel like this shouldn't be so difficult. There must be some detail I'm overlooking, some stupid thing I am doing wrong.

As an aside, I have  looked into tarballs generally, what they are, what they eat, how they reproduce, etc, but unsurprisingly, understanding the issue conceptually isn't enough to find the magic terminal words that will instal my silly little game. I have learned a lot of Linux and open source related stuff since installing Linux Lite over a year ago, but am still a super mega noob, so I'd like to use this as an opportunity to learn a bit more. For instance, I'd like to know what the difference between .tar and .tar.gz files is (I've also come across .taz and tar.xz while looking for tutorials, no idea what these are either).

So much as a hint on where to look for a solution will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section