You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Workspaces, Desktops, App Launchers in Linux Lite

Author (Read 6782 times)

Re: Workspaces, Desktops, App Launchers in Linux Lite
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 05:26:47 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Robo_PI,

great work and solution :)

Re: Workspaces, Desktops, App Launchers in Linux Lite
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:54:24 AM »

Robo_Pi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron 2.2Ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Notebook computer
I'm going to mark this thread solved as I have found a way to do something close to what I originally wanted.

I basically wanted four independent desktops, each with their own app launchers or "shortcuts", and I would have even liked to have had unique "Panels" or "Task bars" for each workspace as well.   I wasn't able to get exactly that.  But what I was able to do was create unique task bars for each workspace.  They still show up on ALL the workspaces, but I think I can live with that.

Here's what I did, in case anyone else is interested:

I created four new "Panels" or "Taskbars"   One dedicated for each workspace. I still have the original panel or taskbar across the bottom.

The four new panels I've created I've spaced across the top of the monitor. I've changed the color of their backgrounds to be coordinated with the wallpaper of the workspace they are associated with.

Then I've created four "Project" docs using Libre Writer.   One document to keep a log of each of my four projects.

Then I added a Libre Writer launcher to each of the four panels.
Then I went back and clicked on the "Properties" of each launcher individual
When the launcher window opens I right-click on the Libre office launcher and choose "Edit Item".
Then I name the launcher according to its related project along with adding a comment.
This name and comment will be displayed anytime the mouse is over the launcher

Then I choose the working directory where I had placed the Libre Writer documents.

And finally edit the Command Line by replacing the U with /documentname.odt right after the %.

I was also able to then chose a unique icon for each document as well.

So in the end it turned out pretty well.
I can also now add more launcher to open specific programs and add them to these same panels.

The panels still show up in ALL the workspaces, but that's ok because I'll know which panel goes with which project and that will keep things nice and well-organized.

Workspaces, Desktops, App Launchers in Linux Lite
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:06:20 AM »

Robo_Pi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron 2.2Ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Notebook computer
Hi, I'm new to Linux Lite and loving it so far!

I have some questions about how to use Workspaces.

Is there any way to make the multiple Workspaces act like unique desktops?

In other words, I've changed the wallpaper on each Workspace.  That's nice, but not very useful.

What would really be useful is if each Workspace had its own app launchers.

The way it is right now every workspace has the same app launchers and I haven't been able to find a way to change that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:54:56 AM by Robo_Pi »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section