Customization > Desktop Customization

Saving and/or Transferring Entire Desktop Panels?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Moltke:

--- Quote ---Oh no, no, no!

I wasn't trying to boot it up in a different machine.  I can understand why that might not work.  I wasn't trying to bootleg a copy of Windows
--- End quote ---

Oh I see...my bad! Since you were talking about different pcs I wrongly assumed that was what you were trying to do.

--- Quote ---I even took it to a compute shop to see if they could do it, they said they could but they would charge me $200 to do it!  And I even had the new drive to put in it.   I said, "No way".  I'm not paying $200 just to clone my drive.  I can buy a brand new Windows 10 OS for something like $119.   In fact I can almost buy a whole new notebook computer for $200
--- End quote ---

If I may ask, since you have a new HDD, why don't you just make a fresh new Windows install on it? I think it will be easier that way; backup your data from the old drive, replace it wih the new one and install Windows on it.

Robo_Pi:

--- Quote from: Moltke on February 12, 2018, 11:18:41 AM ---Yeah that won't work, ever! Once Windows is installed in a pc it attaches itself to that hardware, so cloning the drive and trying to get it boot in a different one with different hardware won't work, I don't even think it'd work in two identical pc's with identical hardware, cause Microsoft doesn't think it's profitable for their business that people can simply clone their Windows install which requires to buy a license and install it into another computer without paying more money.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Oh no, no, no!

I wasn't trying to boot it up in a different machine.  I can understand why that might not work.  I wasn't trying to bootleg a copy of Windows.

My hard drive is making a racket, so I wanted to replace the drive.  So I cloned the drive and put the cloned drive right back into the very same notebook that I took the old drive out of.  I figured it should work because it's the very same computer.  All I was trying to do was replace a bad hard drive.

And I couldn't even get it to boot up on the same computer.   I had to put the old noisy drive back in and that's where I'm at right now.

I even took it to a compute shop to see if they could do it, they said they could but they would charge me $200 to do it!  And I even had the new drive to put in it.   I said, "No way".  I'm not paying $200 just to clone my drive.  I can buy a brand new Windows 10 OS for something like $119.   In fact I can almost buy a whole new notebook computer for $200.

In fact, it was that whole episode that caused me to give Linux a shot.   I'm fed up with Windows.

Moltke:

--- Quote ---I don't know what a grub/bootloader is
--- End quote ---

To my knowledge, the bootloader is a piece of code that runs before any operating system is running, it looks for OSes installed if more than one and offers the user options to select which OS to boot in. When you select a drive just like you did to boot from your USB hdd, the bootloader is the one that handles it. If I'm wrong and/or missed something please someone step in and let us know.  ;)

--- Quote ---these notebooks
--- End quote ---

Oh it is a notebook. Yes, there's no way to unplug internal drives on those ones just in like a desktop, which is what I have.

--- Quote ---I've cloned the Windows drive but it refuses to recognize it as a bootable drive
--- End quote ---

Yeah that won't work, ever! Once Windows is installed in a pc it attaches itself to that hardware, so cloning the drive and trying to get it boot in a different one with different hardware won't work, I don't even think it'd work in two identical pc's with identical hardware, cause Microsoft doesn't think it's profitable for their business that people can simply clone their Windows install which requires to buy a license and install it into another computer without paying more money.  ;)

justme2:

--- Quote from: Robo_Pi on February 12, 2018, 09:37:19 AM ---
I own a Cloning Drive Dock.  The only thing I'm wondering about with a totally cloned drive is whether it would work well if booted up on a totally different notebook computer?  I'm thinking it might be better to install Linux on that computer from scratch and then just copy over these panel folders.  That way the install will have potentially addressed any special hardware issues with the other notebook computer.

I've also found a way to "cheat" on Windows. (ha ha)

I've created a Linux system on a drive connected via USB.  Then I just set the BIOS up to boot on the USB first.  If I have the Linux drive plugged in when I turn the computer on it boots up in Linux.  If leave the Linux drive off-line then the computer boots up to the notebook hard drive with Windows.   So I've discovered I can have the best of both worlds without any major hassle.  ;D

--- End quote ---

That's the way I have run linux for years - on a class 10 SDHC card in a usb card reader, set to be the first boot device. (some older PCs won't boot from USB directly). As for hardware problems when plugged into different PCs, I have found none and the system has been used to demonstrate Linux Lite on numerous Windows PCs at a local U3A group. I believe windows becomes tied to the hardware after installing but linux detects the hardware each time it boots (dmesg output seems to indicate that). Anyway, my LL/USB/SDHC installation moves from machine to machine without problem. Try a cloned drive and see if it works!

Robo_Pi:

--- Quote from: Moltke on February 12, 2018, 10:12:44 AM ---
--- Quote ---I've created a Linux system on a drive connected via USB.
--- End quote ---

I did this myself once too and installed Debia 8 on my usb HDD. Just curious, did you unplug the internal drive before doing so? I had to because I read and was adviced in another forum to do so in order to avoid any grub/bootloader issues.

--- End quote ---

I don't know what a grub/bootloader is.   But it's not possible to unplug the internal drive without taking the computer apart.   So I don't bother.   It hasn't been a problem yet, although Windows sometimes senses a problem and wants to diagnose the drive before it will boot up.  But so far it's always booted up. 

This is an old computer.  It does have Windows 10 on it (upgraded from Windows 8).  But this original internal drive is making noise and probably about ready to die.  When it finally dies I'll just stick the Linux drive in permanently.   I'm about fed up with Microsoft constantly upgrading and poking their nose around in my business all the time.  They are constantly adding junk to the computer that I don't even want.  This is one reason I decided to move over to Linux.

The other reason is that Windows doesn't seem to want to clone on these notebooks.  I've cloned the Windows drive but it refuses to recognize it as a bootable drive.  I think this has something to do with Windows making it impossible to copy their OS?  I don't know what the problem is, but I just wanted to replace the drive without losing the Windows.   But I can't seem to clone a bootable Windows drive.

So I'm leaving Windows in the dust. 

With Linux I can just create a brand new fresh system disk anytime I want and I don't need to worry about Microsoft screaming for a security Key or whatever.   I'm fed up with Microsoft.

But I do LOVE SharpDevelop.  I don't know if Microsoft owns SharpDevelop or not, but I think it's pretty exclusive to Windows.  From what I've read thus far it doesn't appear that I'll be able to get it to run on Linux.  I think it's too dependent on the Windows core OS stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version