You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Saving and/or Transferring Entire Desktop Panels?

Author (Read 8838 times)

Re: Saving and/or Transferring Entire Desktop Panels?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:21:44 AM »

Robo_Pi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron 2.2Ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Notebook computer
UPDATE:

I've been searching around on the Internet and came up with the following information.

Supposedly the data describing the panels is in the following folder and file

Code: [Select]
/home/<user>/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
And the launcher specific data is stored in the following folder

Code: [Select]
/home/<user>/.config/xfce4/panel
So I'm assuming that all I would need to do is copy these folders over to the other Linux system?

I'm not going to mark this thread solved just yet because I'd like to hear other opinions on how best to do this.

One thing for sure, when I load Linux on my next computer I'll check these files out at the very beginning and see how they grow as I add new stuff.  It would be nice to learn enough about these to just go into these files and add or remove a single panel or launchers.

So much to learn, but it's definitely worth learning!  :)

Saving and/or Transferring Entire Desktop Panels?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:43:39 AM »

Robo_Pi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron 2.2Ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Notebook computer
I've been spending quite a bit of time creating special panels on my desktop to launch project specific programs and open specific file folders.  This is going to be a fantastic system when I'm done, but it takes some time to set it all up.  So my question:

Is there a way to save an entire panel including all its launchers and transfer it to another Linux computer?

The reason I ask is because I'm installing Linux on some of my other computers and I would love to be able to just instantly transfer all these panels and launchers to the new installation.  I realize that some of them might not work due to small differences in paths, etc.  But I could deal with having to just clean up a few paths.   But it would sure save me a lot of time if I could just transfer these newly customized panels over to the newly created Linux systems.

I'd hate to have to redo this all over again from scratch with every new installation.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:01:41 PM by Robo_Pi »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section