You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Background image when starting "the feather"

Author (Read 9741 times)

Re: Background image when starting "the feather"
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 11:37:09 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
@Jerry

I tried the boot splash script you just posted but have to agree with @m654321 that it gives a dizzy feeling.
..Not in a 'gonna fall down' sort of way but in a its a BIG circle versus monitor size.

Also, the reason I made the feather logo in mine in single-color is that the yellow-white (or pale blue-white) seems a little "weird" since the colors merge optically.

I could send you my Plymouth themes so you can try them but don't know where to upload or email them... You could try the progress bar precision I mentioned ;). But, the 4-part spinner is cool to look at, I don't know how to make an animated GIF from it though. If someone is a Plymouth script "coder" I would like to try and put two overlapping spinners (one at 100% speed and a second at 50% for a cool visual effect). I failed when I tried *sad face* .

More text but important I think ;) : Concerning the "flat" look versus classic. I like both but 4.0 is a big step I think and a new look seems appropriate. Additionally, the "classic" feather is harder to replicate and scale. Single color or two-color logos are usually better for brand recognition and other things like cool t-shirts, coffee mugs or graffiti paintings on the Microsoft buildings... just joking ;) .
I would also change the logo text a little for the new era, I could make some tests if needed.

-TheDead
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

@Jerry , sent you a PM, just in case your Typatalk thingie is forum only... ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 10:12:26 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

I'll add my 2 cents worth here ...

Like ptyerman, I don't like the spinning effect - reminds me of Win10 & makes me dizzy!!!

I prefer a progress bar - much better - as then you know roughly how much time you've got left to being fully booted ...
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 06:18:05 AM »

ptyerman

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i7 920

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX580
Do not like that flat look at all! Too much like Windows 10 for me, everything seems to be in a race to the bottom to look like Windows 10 these days! Happily it's changeable.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 04:27:59 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
This is likely the boot splash for Series 4.x

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

I want to make changes to my Feather-Spinner plymouth theme but can't get it to do what I want... Anyone familliar with Plymouth scripts?

-TD
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »

clunga

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member newbie in love
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel atom N280

Got it! I was afraid of this complication about the size: mine are real picture about 600Kb and they are too heavy for feathers. They work only as background.
Referring to sudo I put it everywhere as ketchup on frieds, so I used it.
I think you have helped me as lot and I think you can put a RESOLVED on the post you initiated transferring me, if you wish so.
Thanks again.
I am leaving Sonya  for Lite

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Hi @clunga

Did you run>  update-initramfs -u from root? This updates the current kernel. The splashes will not change unless you do.
Also pressing esc overrides "quiet" and "splash" in grub.
You see all those options in plymouth because you are using Rocking Hoss. The asterisk is the theme you have selected.
Everytime you make a change to plymouth you must run from root or sudo> update-initramfs -u
Make sure your .png matches the resolution of you screen. Also you mught want to compare the byte size of the .png file you want to use to the byte size of the liteboot plymouth background. If your .png file size is too much bigger in comparison it may not load at all.

TC
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:12:24 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Thanks @TheDead. Looks good. I like that progress bar too. I think LL should use it default with an option to run plain wallpaper second for old video cards.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Thanks to @trinidad, I finally got by butt moving and played around with Plymouth.
Got my first bootscreens working. Made this based on the Ubuntu spinner and the "new-feather"
Linux Lite logo from @whateverthing . I had to modify the logo to make it work in white on black.
Yes... the four thingies spin clock wise.

Dont know if this is the right way to post images... Bare with me, this is my first post from Imgur ;)
Link is https://imgur.com/a/w7SgR

Below was my first functional attempt. Based on the Debian progress bar and a background from the forums.
@Jerry : You mentionned how difficult progress bars are to time in an earlier post. The one in the script I used was quite accurate. It seemed quite better than the Linux Lite 2.x one. No offense to the 2.x splash screen programmer(s), I didn't even code this one ;)

Cheers!

-TheDead
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:23:45 PM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »

clunga

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

:) :)
Dear Trinidad, no success  and  you have been so kind that now I will five you the full picture right from the beginning.
In /usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1/  there are :

1  mynewtheme1.plymouth which reads
Code: [Select]
Plymouth Theme]
Name=mynewtheme1
Description=Wallpaper only
ModuleName=script
[script]
ImageDir=/usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1
ScriptFile=/usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1/mynewtheme1.script

2  mynewtheme1.script which reads
wallpaper_image = Image(“splash1.png”);
screen_width = Window.GetWidth();
screen_height = Window.GetHeight();
resized_wallpaper_image = wallpaper_image.Scale(screen_width,screen_height);
wallpaper_sprite = Sprite(resized_wallpaper_image);
wallpaper_sprite = sprite.SetZ(-100);

3 splash1.png ( which is an image with written reminders on some operastions to do)

if type in the terminal
sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth it opens a lot of choises, but the first is marked with asterisks. I will show you the first lines:
There are 21 choices for the alternative default.plymouth (providing /usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth).

Selection    Path                                                           Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0            /usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1/mynewtheme1.plymouth     100       auto mode
Now let us describe what happens.
The desktop starts in multibooting, with the grub residing  in linux mint showing the 4 distros to choose.
the first is Rocking Hoss Transformation Linux Lite 64 v.3.6.1 and I choose it.
The mint splash page remains up for 6 or 8 seconds thant after a black screen for 2 seconds, these writing appear on the top in small white characters :
3.214526] [drm·intel_enable lvds  etc
3.761835] sd 6:0:0:0: [sda no caching mode
3.761886]sd  6:0:0:0: [sda]Assuming drive  et.
11.7786821 ata1:  COMRESET failed  (errno=16  and it repeats 3 times, ( I suppose it is due to the fact that my notebook has a SDD not working and I work only on external HDD on usb port)
After 5 or 6 seconds I have a black screen and I understand someway it is an image, so if I press ESC I have a lot of commands rolling down with a green ok when completed ,  up to the point when  the screen is again black and an image appears, which is the one I have set up possibly  somewhere in light boot to be the background , alternating it to the logo feather image, even if I have changed it it  in plymouth, most likely lite boot. A few second and finally the white login page with the linux icon where to digit the passwword  and then the welcoming message that I have personalized editing the .wav.
Thanks for your assistance.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:17:08 PM by clunga »

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 07:43:25 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Perhaps you have misunderstood the terminology in the script. "Wallpaper" in the script refers to the plymouth splash (which is not your desktop wallpaper). It is the screen you see after the grub screen and before the login (lightdm) screen. By the way if you are seeing characters roll by before the plymoputh splash and don't want to, you must add the option "quiet" to your boot string.

TC
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:48:32 AM by trinidad »

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »

clunga

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

I have read the message carefully. Now give me some time to elaborate and then I will come back to you.
Anyway thanks for your thorough work and answer. Really veri good.
PS I do apologize for my delay in ansewring due to problems in reaching PC.
I have gone through the whole process, but setting up mynewtheme I have only acquired a chang of the wall image, if I understood correctly.
I was interested in the images coming before the wall image.
Anyway thanks for your assistance.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:38:38 AM by clunga »

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

The plymouth splash is displayed at startup and shutdown. Changing it the way you did will not remove the default for the startup splash. After you change the splash run the command below:

sudo update-initramfs -u

To make the feather itself not appear (which is a seperate image (logo.png) open /usr/share/plymouth/themes/liteboot/liteboot.script with leafpad and locate the following line: logo.original_image = ImageNew("logo.png"); and change it to this:  logo.original_image = ImageNew(); Any changes you make to plymouth must be followed with:

sudo update-initramfs -u

If you want to try it, use the process below to properly install a new simple plymouth theme.

1) Open the lxterminal in Linux Lite and type sudo su. Enter your password and you will be logged in as root. From root type the command below. You can substitute any name for mynewtheme at the end of the command but leave the 1 after.

mkdir /usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1

2) Open Thunar as an administrator and find the .png file you intend to use (it should match your screen resolution) and copy and paste it to /usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1 Afterwards go back one level in Thunar.

3) Next still in the root terminal type the command below.

leafpad /usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1/mynewtheme1.plymouth

4) Type the script below into leafpad.

[Plymouth Theme]
Name=mynewtheme1
Description=Wallpaper only
ModuleName=script
[script]
ImageDir=/usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1
ScriptFile=/usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1/mynewtheme1.script

5) Click file in the upper menubar of leafpad and from the dropdown menu select save. Leafpad will close and the script will be saved where it belongs.

6) Next still in the root terminal type the command below.

leafpad /usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1/mynewtheme1.script

7) Type the script below into leafpad. Substitute the name of your graphic file for graphicfile in the script.

wallpaper_image = Image(“graphicfile.png”);
screen_width = Window.GetWidth();
screen_height = Window.GetHeight();
resized_wallpaper_image = wallpaper_image.Scale(screen_width,screen_height);
wallpaper_sprite = Sprite(resized_wallpaper_image);
wallpaper_sprite = sprite.SetZ(-100);

8) Click file in the upper menu bar of leafpad and from the dropdown menu select save. Leafpad will close and the script will be saved where it belongs.

9) Next still in the root terminal type the command below.

update-alternatives --install /usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1/mynewtheme1.plymouth 100

10) Next still in the root terminal type the command below.

update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

11) A list of alternatives will appear in your terminal. Select the number corresponding to “mynewtheme1” and hit enter.

12) Still in the root terminal type the command below.

update-initramfs -u

13) When the terminal prompt returns exit root, and then exit the terminal. Open /usr/share/plymouth/themes/mynewtheme1 in Thunar. The following files should be there. Your new selected .png graphic file, a mynewtheme1.plymouth script file, and a mynewtheme1.script script file.

TC

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:55:20 AM by trinidad »

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:07:46 AM »

clunga

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

First of all thanks for answering at that time of the day. Let's get to the point. I had already managed in the lite 386 to change the image in the theme etc, BUT it works only for 1 second  during the process the pc is turned down. I had the same in Ubuntu, the background pops out only when shutting down. My change approach was to rename the image  I had chosen , xxyy.png to  background.png and with thunar file manager  paste it in the themes directory, substituting the original.
Following the bootin config, I have also changed the grub_linux_lite.png, but I am not surprised it does not show, as I am in dual boot and in this way, the splash image of linux mint leading the booting appers.
BUT, BUT, here lies the matter, I see during the booting, at a certain point a yellow image or screen with the logo on top. I will change the logo and tell you what happens, putting a ps on this post.
Thanks again
PS Sorry, it does not change, even if I changed the logo. If it were possible to go through the script,  I am specifically referring to the windows which appears after the black windows when all the operations are enumerated in smal whte chracters, and before the login page with the password. There in this lapse of time ( 7 or 8 seconds, this screen appears. Total screen, very similar to /usr/share/plymouth/themes/liteboot/1background.png, then it evens lights up furtherly and then is replaced by the login scree, with the password.
Thanks again.
PS2 I am not interested in the desktop back ground as I have variety which overrules them

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:32:50 AM by clunga »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section