You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

missing ruby & json file type icons

Author (Read 11247 times)

Re: missing ruby & json file type icons
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
I've looked into this in depth a bit (not being a regular XFCE UBU guy) and it seems that this is not a simple modification, and even if I do recompile etc. it is said that it can create a hash sum mismatch problem for updates. It's just a cosmetic thing, not particularly important, but maybe when 4.4 comes out a ruby emblem could be added to emblems available in thunar. It's system graphics so it can't be added at this point by me without involving the afore mentioned issues, and I'm not that comfortable with XFCE and Ubu, and I want this current installation to carry me through the 4.xx series. I'm not developing really, just updating some older ruby and json stuff to work right with LL, and getting in depth with some other cross platform networking utilities, so it's not a big thing.

Maybe something like this one.

TC       
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 10:43:13 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Yeah, LL isn't set up for development so if things don't work well that way, I won't lose any sleep (everyone should know our mission statement by now). Normally. I wouldn't spend any time on this kind of request or just ignore it, but you have given so much to this community.

I've cut your quote down to - "Gems used to show up as gems. Scripts used to show up with the ruby app page icon, as did json. I'm sure I'll sort it out, but I think it may be linked to the LL base system dependency on vim tiny." The rest is unrelated hardware waffle.

I can't proceed until you send me some samples as first requested.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Gems used to show up as gems. Scripts used to show up with the ruby app page icon, as did json. I'm sure I'll sort it out, but I think it may be linked to the LL base system dependency on vim tiny. This is on the latest 4.2 and I already borked this brand new install (I rarely am that inattentive) by installing vim gtk from synaptic without reading the fine print assuming the mime type needed a default app to display the icon correctly. Wrong TC.Things change so fast sometimes with UBU I don't keep up. Worked fine in LL 3.8, and fine in Debian. I have to reinstall LL now. First time in fa long time. My own fault, but I want LL on the big drive to do some development (with backups and sys images) without depending on Debian all the time. The machine this is on would never install the 3.x series at all. 4.2 is the first time I could get a successful install. It's a new drive just for LL. The first drive is Debian, mainly because the only thing I could install at the time was the non-free net install ISO. It's a problem CPU/GPU combo and a 32bit BIOS expecting persistent NVRAM access. 2011 ASUS with Phoenix BIOS. I'll get it fixed today but I'll need a ruby editor that doesn't break LL base system dependencies, so vim gtk is out. As I've gone through this brief ordeal I've also discovered some very poorly written encoded documentation in a few application (google data is one) status files. Some bad enough to give install errors. However, I wouldn't have attempted to install vim gtk had the icons displayed correctly. Because I used to use it with Ruby on 16.04 (3.8) I assumed that was the problem. Wrong TC.   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:43:06 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 06:49:11 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Send some samples to me so I can test, and screenshot what you mean please.

missing ruby & json file type icons
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 01:24:19 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

My Ruby icons are not showing up in file manager. They show up in the mime type editor, but not in Thunar on the desktop like they should. Json doesn't show up right either. The icons are in the set and show in the mime type editor but not on the desktop. What did I miss?
TC

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section